The Chideock Society is a village organisation which provides a programme of various events and activities. Due to a smaller committee it was decided at the AGM 2019 to concentrate on more of the ‘history’ of the village and to this end we are setting up a new website www.chideockhistory.org in order that we can scan much of the documents etc., held by the Chideock society into the website and then be able to give them to the Bridport or Dorchester Archives. The large photograph collection will also be scanned into a photo gallery online but will also be retained by the Society who hope to have a ‘showing’ of these wonderful photographs once a year.
The Society started in 1988 with the Parish Map Project. The original hangs in the Village Hall. Copies are still available. The Society produced ‘A Wander Through Chideock’ , an illustrated history of the village with over 160 pages packed with photographs. A copy is available to new, permanent residents upon request. It is also on sale in the village shop or by mail order. For details of how to obtain a map or book please phone: 01297 489098
The Aims of the Society
- To conserve and enhance the village environment with special emphasis on the Conservation Area, the Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty and the World Heritage Site.
- To promote the heritage and history of the Parish.
- To help protect the fauna and flora and to promote the proper use of the Rights of Way.
- To foster the concept of neighbourliness and actively give support where it is needed in practical ways
- At the 2019 AGM it was agreed to elect the Committee as follows: Lyn Crisp, Frances Colville, Sal Robinson and Sandra Conroy. Sal Robinson elected as Treasurer.
- Contact: Lyn Crisp on 01297 489098 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
- If you wish to order a book or map please contact as above.