About Us

Towards Seatown

Towards Seatown

Chideock is an attractive village situated three miles west of Bridport on Dorset’s Jurassic Coast.  The Winniford valley encloses the parish, which is rural and of dramatic landscape quality. There are high hills to the east, west and north, and unspoiled coastal cliffs to the south.  Golden Cap (highest point on the south coastat 191 metres) is rich in wildlife and unusual geology.

Chideock is in a designated Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty.  A large part of the village is within a Conservation Area.  The coastline has World Heritage Site status.  Chideock has archaeological sites and finds dating from the Neolithic period to the 20th century.  It has 12 recorded sites and finds on the Sites and Finds Monuments Record, one of which – the earthworks of the medieval Chideock Castle to the north of the village – is a scheduled ancient monument.  A Neolithic settlement is located on the cliff at the foot of Doghouse Hill.

St Giiles

St Giiles

The Grade I listed churchof St.Giles dates from the 14th and 15th centuries and has a strong west tower.  The Grade II listed Weld Mortuary Chapel (1853) is a cruciform structure with an external rood and fish-scale tiles on the roof. The Chideock Catholic Church, Church of our Lady, Queen of Martyrs and St.Ignatius, is situated in North Road, it is a place of great spirituality, and a Marian shrine.

There are a large number of 16th and 17thcentury houses, cottages and farms within the parish and around 25% of all properties in Chideock are Grade II listed.  Historic Chideock is characterised by buildings constructed from the local yellow sandstone salvaged, allegedly, from the demolition of the castle in 1646 at the end of the Civil War.  The historic character abounds and is evident in the old village pump in Ruins Lane, the cider shed at Silverbridge Farm, the Martyr’s Cross and the Castle Ruins field, the Old Bakery, the Old Post Office, The Old Schoolhouse, The Forge, The Farmers Arms (cider house), most of which are now private residences.

The Anchor at Seatown

The Anchor at Seatown

The main characteristics of Seatown, lying to the south of the parish of Chideock, are the former Coastguard Watch Houses, the former Customs Guard Houses, and The Anchor Inn, all of which remind us of a fishing past and the clandestine smuggling which augmented meagre fishing incomes of latter years.  The Anchor Cottage is Grade II listed.

Chideock and Seatown has a population of approximately 600 and benefits from a Shop and Post Office, three public houses namely, The Clock House Inn, The George Inn and The Anchor Inn, a Tea Garden, many holiday cottages and Bed & Breakfast businesses.   The well kept Clapps Mead Playing Field and Recreation Area provides good facilities for children.  The Chideock Village Hall is integral to village life.   There is also a large Caravan Park owned by West Dorset Leisure Holidays Limited.

There is a good network of footpath and bridlepaths affording wonderful walks with spectacular views.  Chideock and Seatown has something for everyone – whether you are a resident or visitor.  We hope you  enjoy our lovely village.

Print Friendly